Town of DeRuyter, New York

Code Enforcement

Roger S. Cook, Code Enforcement Officer
735 Utica St., PO Box 394
DeRuyter, NY 13052

Thursday, 9AM - Noon

Cell Phone:315-447-0476 

Office: 315-367-1353 (Thursday Mornings Only)
Fax: 315-367-1359 

Horizontal Divider 7

Town Regulations:

Land Use Regulations

Subdivision Regulations

Horizontal Divider 7

Printable Applications:








Horizontal Divider 7

Building Permit Process:

Whatever your planned construction project, it may require an application for a permit, a plan check review and inspections.  The questions and answers here should help you determine if you need a permit and how to obtain one.

When Do I Need A Building Permit?

A permit is required for construction that physically changes or adds structures to your property, or for work regulated by New York's Building & Fire Code, Town or County codes or ordinances, such as:
  • New Buildings - dwellings, sheds (over 150 square feet or over 10 feet in height), carports
  • Additions - buildings, swimming pools, hot tubs, decks, retaining walls
  • Alterations Beyond Cosmetic Changes - converting carports to garages or nonliving space to living space
  • Moving or Demolishing a building
  • Repairs Involving Structural Members - including staircases, doors, windows, rafter, trusses, etc
  • Heating Equipment - wood or pellet stoves, gas lines, HVAC units
  • Changing the Use of a Structure - changing a single-family residence to a restaurant or shop
  • Signs
  • Electric & Plumbing - any electrical changes and most plumbing changes


Building without a permit may result in enforcement action, including removing any construction which requires permits, possible penalties, and increased fees.  If you have any questions about when permits are required, please call first.

When  Do I Need a Land Use Permit?


Certain land uses may require a land use permit in addition to a building permit.  Contact the Codes Enforcement Officer to verify whether your proposed use or property requires a separate land use permit.  Before calling, know the address and the proposed use for the property.

Horizontal Divider 26

Common Questions:


What Must I Submit for a Permit?

Submit a completed building permit application form to the Codes Enforcement Officer.  Contractor information will be needed before the approved plans and permit can be issued.
One- or two- family dwelling projects require 2 - 3 complete sets of plans.  Commercial projects require 3 - 5 complete sets of plans, showing all proposed work and details necessary to verify compliance with building codes and zoning ordinances.  Plans may not be accepted if they are not clear or lack needed details.

A Complete Set of Plans is Needed

Checklists for commercial or residential (one and two-family) projects are available at the Town Offices along with permit applications.  All the items on the checklist that apply to your project must be provided.  We can not accept plans that are incomplete.
Delays Can Be Costly
You can save yourself a great deal of money as well as valuable time if you review the general regulations outlined and submit plans that will not need major revisions later.
If you cannot draw up the plans or are not familiar with code requirements, please seek competent assistance before attempting to apply for the permit.
Town stafff cannot assist in drafting the plans or designing your project.  The Codes Enforcement Officer can only check the completed plans for compliance with the codes.

When May I Start My Building?

No construction is allowed until the permit is issued.  After the permit application and accompanying plans have been submitted, it will take several weeks to examine and process a good quality set of plans, depending on the complexity.  Plans which are not good quality may require revisions and take significantly longer.  The plans are reviewed in the order they are received.
You will be notified of approval by telephone or by mail, with permit fees specified at that time.  Permit fees are based on the type and value of the construction to be done.
You may then pick up your set of "approved" plans.  Make sure you post the address and permit number card on the site so we can find you.  The plans marked "approved" must be on the job site at all times for the use of the Codes Enforcement Officer as well as the contractors.  Inspections will not be made if the plans are not on the site.

When Do I Need Inspections?

The type and number of inspections needed depend on the individual project.  Please review your permit for those inspections you will need.
When the work is ready for inspection, the contractor or person responsible for the specific work to be inspected can schedule the inspection by calling the Codes Enforcement Officer with the following information:
  • permit number
  • inspection code for type of inspection (provided with permit)

What If I Change My Mind?

If you change your contractor, we will revise the application form and assess additional fees.
If you change your project, submit 2 sets of plans to the Codes Enforcement Officer that clearly show the revisions in relationship to the approved plans.  These revisions must be approved and may require additional fees.

How Long Is a Permit Active?

Once a permit is issued, construction must commence within 180 days.  Construction may not stop completely for more than 180 days.  If these time periods are exceeded, the permit will automatically expire and a new application for a building permit is necessary.

What is a Certificate of Occupancy?

After the final inspection, when it is found that the building or structure complies with all Code provisions of the Town of DeRuyter, the Codes Enforcement Officer will issue a certificate of occupancy.  No building or structure may be lawfully used or occupied until the certificate of occupancy has been issued.

Typical Items to Check Before Submitting Plans

  • Make sure that the use, size, height, and location of the building on the development site conforms with the applicable laws and ordinances.
  • Check for the location of any public utility easements on the bulding site.  No construction is allowed on or over such easements.  Contact the Codes Enforcement Officer for more information.

This site  The Web